P. O. Box 86 / Cottage Hills, Illinois 62018/ USA / 618-259-3259
For Smart People
Who Do Not Want To Be Dummies
About God and the Bible
(Parts I, II, III)
By J. George Cover
Lesson 31 - What About "Once Saved, Always Saved"? (Text Version)
There are a number of questions we would like to raise and discuss to introduce this subject.
- Are there "saved sinners" and "lost sinners"? By that we mean people who have been saved, who continue to live sinful lives, but who will go to heaven and other people who commit the same sins but will be eternally lost?
- Are there really people who believe that this is true?
- Is it true that if a person has been truly "born again" regardless of whether he backslides and discontinues to live a Christian life or not, he will not lose his salvation -- only his rewards?
- When once a person decides to serve the Lord and be a true Christian, is he forever "locked into" (sealed so he cannot get out) salvation, even if discouragements come and sinful attractions take over his life and he departs from the living God? "Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God" (Hebrews 3:12).
- Does a person have eternal life right now or only after he dies?
- If a person has eternal life right now and if there is a possibility of losing it, does he really have eternal life? (1 John 5:11-12; John 15:1-6). Adam had life "Without end" (eternal life) until he sinned.
- If you say that it is possible to lose one's salvation, does this not contradict John 10:28? "I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."
There Are Those Who Do Believe That Salvation Can Never Be Lost After Having Once Received It!
Today, on Christian radio, I heard one person report that their pastor preached on Easter Sunday from 1 Peter 1:3-5. He reportedly said, based on these scriptures:
- Because of the resurrection, we can now live dangerously.
- The inheritance is already reserved in heaven for us.
- We are kept by the power of God.
I did not hear the explanation for his statements but there are those who believe that although a person, once saved, should live carelessly and sinfully, they are sure to go to heaven because of the grace of God.
"Please tell me more."