P. O. Box 40031 / Cleveland, Ohio 44140 / USA / 440-201-6046
For Smart People
Who Do Not Want To Be Dummies
About God and the Bible
(Parts I, II, III)
By J. George Cover
Lesson 6 - What About Sin? (Text Version)
Scripture References: Genesis 3, 4:7; Exodus 20:3-17; Ezekiel 18:4, 20; Romans 3:23; 6:23.
What Is Sin?
God has set boundaries or limits on what we should do or not do for our own good and to enable us to serve and obey him by our own choice out of love, reverence and respect. He has a special purpose for those who will stand the testing, love and serve Him.
- Other names for sin in the Bible: transgression, iniquity, evil.
- Sin is an offence against God.
- Sin is guiltiness of breaking God's commandments. To transgress means to go across the boundaries that God has set for us.
- Sin is not only an act of breaking one of God's commandments, but sin is a condition of the soul that results from continuing to sin. We were born in that condition, with that kind of a nature and need to be converted from being a sinner by God's power. That is why Jesus said, "Except a man be born again he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
How Can a Person Tell What Is a Sin Or When He Has Sinned?
There is only one reliable way: What does the Bible say about it? We can read the commandments for ourselves in the Bible and know what is sin and what is not sin to do. There are the Ten Commandments. but there are also other commandments in the Bible, which if we break, we commit sin against God. Most of the other commandments are related to one or more of the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20.
In fact, Jesus said that all the law of God and what the prophets said hang on two commandments. One of these commandments Jesus called "the first and greatest commandment."
- Do you know what that commandment is and where in the Bible it is found?
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deuteronomy 6:5; Matthew 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27).
- What is the second greatest commandment, according to Jesus and where is it found?
"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 22:39; Leviticus 19:18; Mark 12:31; Luke 10:27).
- What are some of the sins named in the New Testament that will keep people out of heaven and God's kingdom?
Galatians 5:19-21: "...Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance (contention, arguing, strife), emulations (jealousy, pushing another person down so you can climb up), wrath, strife, seditions (disunion, discord), heresies (going away from sound doctrine), envyings murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."
Revelation 21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which bums with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
"Please tell me more."