P. O. Box 86 / Cottage Hills, Illinois 62018/ USA / 618-259-3259
For Smart People
Who Do Not Want To Be Dummies
About God and the Bible
(Parts I, II, III)
By J. George Cover
Lesson 15 - What About the Judgment? (Text Version)
Scripture References: Hebrews 9:27; Acts 17:31; 1 Peter 4:5; 2 Corinthians 5:10; John 5:22; Romans 14:10; 1 Timothy 5:24; 1 John 4:17; Revelation 20:4; 11-15.
- Judgment sometimes comes as a calamity inflicted by God in this world because of sin. This judgment has come upon individuals and upon nations.
- The Bible declares there is a "day in which He will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him (Jesus) from the dead."
- In this matter, Scripture teaches us that there is a judgment day for the righteous and another for the unrighteous, at least 1000 years apart.
How Many Judgments Are There? When? Where? Of Whom?
- The Judgment of the Believer's Sins in the person of Christ - already past.
- "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls" (1 Peter 2:24-25).
- Romans 8:1: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
- John 5:24: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
- Hebrews 10: 16-17: "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
- "And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."
- The Judgment of Living Nations
- "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him; then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory; And before him shall be gathered all nations." Read Matthew 25:31-46. No resurrection is spoken of here. The basis of judgment is upon their treatment of "these my brethren" (Matthew 25:40) [Brethren = The Jewish people; those who "shall do the will of God"] (Mark 3:34).
- The results of that judgment are, either:
- (1) "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" (Matthew 25:34) or
- (2) "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41). "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
- The Judgment of Believers for rewards or lack of merit for rewards.
- "Wherefore we labor, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men" (2 Corinthians 5:9-11).
- "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay stubble; Every man's work shall be manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire" (1 Corinthians 3:11-15).
"Please tell me more."