P. O. Box 40031 / Cleveland, Ohio 44140 / USA / 440-201-6046
For Smart People
Who Do Not Want To Be Dummies
About God and the Bible
(Parts I, II, III)
By J. George Cover
Lesson 13 - What About Death? Part II (Cont'd.) (Text Version)
False Teachings Of The Cults About Hell:
- That the grave is hell.
- That fire in hell is figurative.
- That punishment of hell is not eternal.
- That the wicked are to be burned up.
- That the wicked shall be annihilated.
- That people in hell will suffer absolute destruction.
- That the wicked shall die and be extinct.
- People in hell will be destroyed, will perish and be no more.
- That the wicked shall consume away like smoke.
- That the wicked will be burned up like chaff the fire will go out when i4 has done its work.
- That the wicked will be no more.
- That the place of the wicked shall not be.
- That the wicked will be devoured by fire.
- That the wicked dead will be given a second chance and then if they do not accept Christ they will be annihilated with the devil and all his angels and demons.
We shall consider these one by one, along with the Scripture or assumption upon which the false teachers base them after the following information and Scriptural research. Most of the following information is by Dr. Finis Jennings Dake in "Dake's Annotated Reference Bible." My remarks are in [brackets].
[Information and Scriptural Research]
"There are 5 distinct prisons in the under world of departed spirits. Not one is the same as the gave, as proved by the following points:
- Tartarus (1 Peter 3:19; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6-7). This prison is a special one for fallen angels...No human beings...ever go to this prison.
- Paradise (Luke 16:19-3 1; 23:43). This was the abode of the righteous after physical death where they were held captive by the devil against their will until Christ conquered death, hell, and the grave. It is now empty of the righteous who go to heaven at death since Christ captured the captives in hell and took them to heaven with Him when He ascended on high.
- Hell (Matthew 16:18; Luke 16:19-31). This is the torment compartment of sheol-hades where wicked souls have always gone and will always go until the end of the Millennium Then the wicked will be brought out of here to be reunited with their resurrected and immortal bodies and to be cast into the lake of fire for eternity (Revelation 20:11-15).
- The abyss or bottomless pit (Luke 8:26-31; Romans 10:7; Revelation 9:1-3, 11; 11:7; 17:8; 20:1-10). This is the abode of demons and some angelic beings. No human soul or spirit ever go to the abyss. The O.T. equivalent is Abaddon and is translated destruction (Job 26:5-6; 28:22; 31:12; Psalm 88: 11; Proverbs 15:11; 27:20).
- The Lake of fire, This is the eternal hell and perdition of all fallen angels, demons, and wicked men (Revelation 20:6, 11-15, 2 1:8; 22:15). It is the same as gehenna (Luke 12:15). It is the final hell prepared for the devil and his angels (Matthew 25:4 1) and is eternal in duration (Matthew 25:46; Revelation 14:9-14; 19:20; 20:10-15; Isaiah 66:22-24).
"There are 7 Hebrew and Greek words translated hell and grave as follows:
- Hebrew Sheol, the unseen world. It always refers to the unseen world of departed spirits, and is always in contrast with the Hebrew qeber which means the grave, or the seen world where bodies are buried. Qeber is always translated grave burying place, sepulchre. It is never translated hell and this is correct.
"Please tell me more."