P. O. Box 86 / Cottage Hills, Illinois 62018/ USA / 618-259-3259
For Smart People
Who Do Not Want To Be Dummies
About God and the Bible
(Parts I, II, III)
By J. George Cover
Lesson 25 - The Life and Ministry of Jesus - Part V (Text Version)
His Marvelous Teachings
"Never man spake like this man spake" (John 7:46)
"He taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes" (Matthew 7:29).
"And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth" (Luke 4:22).
"My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the, doctrine,
whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself" (John 7:16-17).
"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day" (John 13:48).
Where Did He Teach?
- In the synagogues in Israel; in all Galilee (Matthew 4:23); all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues (Matthew 9:35).
- On the mountain side (Matthew 5:1).
- By the sea of Galilee (Mark 2:13); from a ship (Luke 5:3).
- In the temple in Jerusalem (Mark 12:35; Luke 19:47; John 7:14).
- In the streets (Luke 13:26).
Whom Did He Teach?
- His disciples (Mark 9:31).
- Those who resorted to him (Mark 2:13).
- The multitudes.
- Those who gathered at the temple and in the synagogues.
How Did He Teach?
- By example: "That you should do as I have done" (John 13:15). By parables: "Without a parable spake he not unto them" (Matthew 13:34).
- By discourse, on the mount (Matthew 5-7); in the upper room (John 14-16).
- By situations (Matthew 24; Luke 13).
What Did He Teach?
If someone asked you what Jesus taught, what would you say?
- That the Scriptures are the Word of God.
Read the full conversation in Mark 7:1-13. He was referring to the Scriptures when he said, "Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition."
- He taught blood atonement for sin.
a. "The Son of man came ... to give his life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28).
b. "This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Matthew 26:28).
c. He taught it by becoming the Passover Lamb of God and the offering for sin (Matthew 27).
"Please tell me more."